Postdoctoral Research Associate in Earthquake Seismology
Office: FASB 106
Office Phone: 801-581-4320
Email: zhang <at> seis.utah.edu
Dr. Hao Zhang recently joined the University of Utah Seismograph Stations (UUSS) as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Earthquake Seismology. He comes to Utah from the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Northwestern University where he was a postdoctoral researcher.
Dr. Zhang received both his B.S. and Ph.D. in Geophysics from Peking University. His doctoral dissertation was titled, “Imaging the Rupture Processes of Earthquakes Using the Relative Backprojection Method”.
Some of his research accomplishments include:
- Rapidly resolving rupture processes of the 2015 Mw 7.8 Nepal earthquake and its Mw 7.3 aftershock using a multi-array back-projection method.
- Relocating a scattering source in the Lake Superior region.
- Detecting microseismic events and performing cluster analyses in the south Chicago suburban region.
- Studying the crustal structure in the Middle Continent Rift System using P-wave receiver functions.
- Investigating the topography of the 410 km discontinuity in the Java subduction zone using 3-D pre-stacked Kirchhoff migration.
Dr. Zhang will work with UUSS faculty, staff, and students on problems of earthquake detection, location, and characterization in the Intermountain West.
- Enhanced geothermal system testing and development at the Milford, Utah FORGE site.
- Migration of the Great Salt Lake earthquake swarm.
- Rupture imaging of the 2016 Mw7.8 Kaikoura, New Zealand earthquake.
- Dr. Kristine Pankow
- Dr. Keith Koper
- Zhang, H. and Z. Ge (2017). Stepover rupture of the 2014 Mw7.0 Yutian, Xinjiang earthquake, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 107(2), in press.
- Zhang, H., S. van der Lee, E. Wolin, et al., (2016). Distinct crustal structure of the North American mid-continental rift from P-wave receiver functions, J. Geophys. Res., 121, doi:10.1002/2016JB013244.
- Zhang, H., S. van der Lee, and Z. Ge (2016). Multiarray rupture imaging of the devastating 2015 Gorkha, Nepal earthquake sequence, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, doi:10.1002/2015GL066657.
- Zhang, H., J. Chen, and Z. Ge (2012). Multi-fault rupture and successive triggering during the 2012 Mw8.6 Sumatra offshore earthquake, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L22305.
- Zhang, H., and Z. Ge (2010), Tracking the rupture of the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake by using the relative back-projection method, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 100(5B), 2551-2560.