Are you looking for an exiting field trip opportunity for your class?
- EIC tours are open for grades 5 and up. We have groups from Elementary, Middle, High School, and University classes. In addition to student groups several community groups interested in Earthquakes have come through for tours.
- Most tours last 45-60min for up to 25 participants at a time. Frequently large groups will split up into smaller groups with one group doing a building tour of Sutton building’s many geologic displays. To request a building tour please contact the Geology & Geophysics Department.
- Tours are available Monday – Friday 9am- 3pm, subject to availability. It is best to contact us at least a month prior to the tour.
- Call 801-581-6274 to reserve a tour.
Topics covered during most tours include:
- What is a Seismograph Station and where are they?
- Why we use different types of instruments and telemetry?
- How do we locate an earthquake?
- How do we determine magnitudes?
- Where do we have earthquakes in Utah and Yellowstone, how many, and how big?
- Earthquake hazard in Utah and Yellowstone.
- UUSS role in earthquake response through ShakeMap and the Utah Department of Public Safety.
- Earthquake safety and preparedness.